Monday, June 18, 2007

Reflections

This summer I am undertaking to read a semsters worth of books for Torrey (the honors program I am in), write the essays that go with them, and learn calculus and physics. It is a daunting prospect, but I think it should be doable if I don't procrastinate too much.

It makes me wonder though, why I never bothered to apply myself during highschool. I could have already taken the calculus and physics, and I could have read these books and thought about them. But no, I graduated by the skin of my teeth, having spent most of my summers working on school. I always had such good intentions, but life was so much more interesting than studying. I wasted so much time doing things that were trivial. I know that some of my 'wasted' time was actually well spent enjoying nature, friends, and my imagination, but the majority of my time was spent procrastinating and making tasks I disliked take as long as possible. I wish I had known, I wish that I had realized just how much of my life I was frittering away by refusing to give the effort necessary.

This past year I wasn't that much better, wasting my time on pointless things like youtube and videos. Yeah, I spent time with friends and had a life, but I could have invested so many more hours on relationships or studies. Instead, I found myself feeling worked to the bone with a workload that I know I could have carried easily if I had been willing to work.

How is it that we manage to waste our time so thoroughly that we have no time to play? It is just redicuous.

So, this summer I hope to take the first step towards learning to invest my time, and not throw it about...I'll keep ya updated on how it goes....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, good luck, girl. I'd really like to see you not waste much time on youtube. As to the rest... there's a balance. Let's learn to love life as it ought to be loved, to know when work is enough, and to know the ways of relaxing that will really be satisfying.