Monday, October 23, 2006

A (disturbing) Cinderella story

Last night I watched A Cinderella Story. I liked the movie for the most part. Yeah, it was a Hillary Duff movie, meaning chick flick and a bit cheesy. But it was cute. Until the last 30 seconds. The movie ends with them driving off into the sunset, and then her saying something to the effect of that this is only a temporary state of affairs. That disturbed me. Aren't faerie tales supposed to end with a happily ever after? How can it be a happy ending if it is a happily ever until I find someone new? That is what disturbed me about Princess Diaries as well (or one of the many things). The first movie ends with her happily ever after being Michael. The second movie starts off with Michael completely gone. He's off touring somewhere...but he and Mia are definitely not still a couple. I've noticed that while in the old days happily ever afters ended in marriage, nowadays they end with a kiss. No commitment, just a kiss. That's a happy ending, but it certainly doesn't seem to last ever after...

To me, that is selling out, selling yourself short. Don't listen to Hollywood. No matter who you are, you are worth more than a happy ending. You are worth an ever after.

No comments: